This Lasagna recipe is a combination of a traditional lasagna and a pasta-free “zucchini” lasagna – we’ll be replacing a layer of the pasta with a layer of zucchini. This is a slightly low carb, savory, and flavor packed meal.
Prep Time: 0 min | Cook Time: 1 hour | Serves: 3-4
- 1lbs ground beef
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 8oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce (Prego Roasted Garlic & Herb is what I’m using)
- 1 large zucchini (enough to cove 1 layer of the baking dish), sliced in 1/4 in thick rounds
- 4 slices of Barilla lasagna pasta (the one that does not require boiling)
- 3 cups of mozzarella
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tbsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dry parsley
- olive oil
COOK THE MEAT
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a large pan over high heat, add olive oil and onion, season with salt and pepper. Cook the onion until softened and browned and add ground beef, break up the beef, add minced garlic, salt and pepper, and mix in the pan.
- When the beef is browned, pour out some of the excess fat, add the diced tomatoes, 1/2 a jar of tomato sauce, oregano, and parsley. Let the mixture simmer on medium-low heat for 5 min.
- Turn off the stove, add the ricotta, and mix.
ASSEMBLE THE LASAGNE
- In a 6 x 6 inch wide baking dish, pour 1/4 cup of tomato sauce at the bottom, spread to cover the pan (this layer of sauce will provide moisture to the first layer of pasta, cooking it and keeping it from sticking to the bottom of the pan)
- Place 2 sheets of lasagna on top of the sauce (remember the direction you’re placing the sheets as you will be placing the remaining sheets in the opposite direction to keep the lasagna together when serving)
- Add half of the meat mixture on top of the pasta and spread it evenly across the pan
- Add 1/2 the shredded mozzarella cheese
- Line the zucchini layer
- Add the remaining meat mixture
- Layer 2 sheets of pasta (in the opposite direction as the first layer)
- Cover the sheets of pasta with the remaining pasta sauce, spread evenly to cover the pasta (the sauce will help cook the pasta in the oven), and add the remaining mozzarella cheese
- Place in oven and cook for 40 min
- 10. If the cheese is not golden brown, broil for a minute
- 11. Let the lasagna sit for at least 5 min before serving so the ingredients can cook and hold its structure when serving
Leave a Reply